BackgroundAcademy of Medical Sciences (ACME), Pariyaram is a premier medical institution in Kerala. It has the state of art facilities in various specialities and super-specialities providing quality health care to the people of Kerala. There are seven institutions under ACME including Pariyaram Medical College, Sahakarana Hridayalaya, Pariyaram Institute of Gastrointestinal and liver diseases, Pariyaram Dental College, Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Nursing and School of Nursing imparting quality medical education to medical and paramedical students. Centre for Medical Research & Non Communicable Diseases (CMRNCD) is the research division of ACME established in 2013, with the aim of undertaking fundamental medical research and health care initiatives.
VisionOur vision is to develop a centre with professional excellence in clinical and pure science research in the country. We also intend to develop a centre of excellence in comprehensive management of Non Communicable Diseases.
ObjectivesCMRNCD will conduct and facilitate original clinical research in all fields of medicine with special focus on Non Communicable Diseases.
- To conduct clinical and community based research projects in various fields of medicine.
- To act as a nodal agency for research activities in North Kerala.
- To promote collaborative research in ACME with other research institutes.
- To facilitate extramural and intramural research projects in cooperation with various research and funding agencies.
- To promote undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral research programmes in health care.
- To develop innovative techniques for patient care in collaboration with Biomedical Engineering division.
- To conduct community level health programs and interventions in Non Communicable diseases.
- To develop the state of art facilities for specialized care in Non Communicable Diseases.
- To maintain a well documented registry for patients with Diabetes Mellitus.
- Publication of journals, preparation of health education manuals and audio visual aids.
FacilitiesThe CMRNCD is equipped with:
- Library with reference books on various medical subjects.
- Online library with subscription of medical and science journals.
- Archives of past and present thesis works and original research works conducted at ACME.
- Telemedicine facilities.
Academic ProgrammesThe academic programs include:
- PhD courses affiliated to Kerala University of Health Sciences (KUHS) and Kannur University.
- Continuing Medical Education programmes.
- Research methodology workshops and seminars.
- Research team activities involving students under ACME. Monthly academic club focusing on various topics.
- Community level health education, screening and intervention programmes.
OrganisationCMRNCD will act as the research division of ACME under the guidance of an Advisory Board comprising of eminent faculties and resource personnel appointed by the Director of ACME. Day to day activities and future development of the centre will be carried out by the Head of Division, CMRNCD. Research faculties and associates will support and coordinate the activities of the centre. Student research activities will be coordinated through a junior research team.
Activities so far:
CMRNCD organised ACMECON 2014 in association with department of Internal Medicine and department of Community medicine on 9th February 2014 at Medical Education Hall ACME, Pariyaram. The theme of conference was “Control NCD: Protect Community”. The session provided current knowledge about various non communicable diseases.
On 8th April 2014, CMRNCD organised a course work session on Research Methodology and Biostatistics, at Department of Medicine.
On 23rd July 2014, CMRNCD, in association with Department of Cardiology and Department of Medicine, organised a guest lecture on topic” Latest approaches of Ventricular Tachycardia” at department of Medicine.
CMRNCD organised a work shop on Research Methodology and Biostatistics, on 5th and 6th August 2014, at department of Medicine.
CMRNCD conducted a presentation on 17th January 2015, by Dr. Zulfikar Ali and Dr. Manu Ayyan on the topic of “ Low cost assembled video Laryngoscopy“ at Medical Education hall, ACME , Pariyaram.
A Lecture on the topic “Dengue update” was organised by CMRNCD at Department of Medicine on 23rd June 2015. Dr. Balakrishnan Valliyot, Head, CMRNCD gave the lecture on this topic.
On 16th November 2015, CMRNCD has conducted NCD quiz for post graduate students of Medicine
On 6th January 2016, Mr. Sachil Kumar, Research Scholar, CMRNCD has presented his Doctoral Thesis at department of Medicine. The session was organised by CMRNCD